This article is about how pregnancy and preparing to give birth to my first child taught me about goal setting in business.
I also hope to encourage you to prepare for any other big goal you have this year like a mom prepares for labor AND giving birth to a baby during pregnancy!
That’s approximately how long it takes to grow a human inside your body.
A pretty magnificent feed if you think about it, granted that that’s a relatively small period of time in a normal human’s life.
But magnificent, regardless :).
What is equally amazing is that it took me about the same amount of time to prepare for this big goal I have – birth.
That’s right! As a first-time mom (and I’m sure many second and third and fourth time moms too), preparing myself for this event called ‘labor and birth’, was on my upmost mind these past few weeks.
Today, while sipping away on an Iced Almond Milk Latte, I realized that I don’t think I’ve ever quite prepared the same way for any other goal I had in my life!
Especially, in business.
And I am an entrepreneur and the owner of the digital marketing agency, FunnelGal!
Let that sink in for a second.
It honestly shocked me when I started to draw comparisons in my mind and quickly, started to journal about it. That’s when this article came into existence.
Sure, there were high school and college tests and graduations in my life, the wedding to my husband Ben, countless moves, trips, business revenue goals, etc.
Though, nothing – and I repeat NOTHING – has innately made me prepare with such an explicit carefulness to detail and towards one goal, as my pregnancy.
Lemme explain and if you’re a guy reading this right now, this is for you too!! I promise it will be worth your while and after you finish reading this article, I know you’re going to have a completely different perception around goal setting as well.
For starters, the prospect of pushing out an insanely huge thing – a baby – out of one of your body’s entrances is motivation enough to learn more about it. I think we can all agree on that.
But what can we take away from that about business goal setting?
Well, to begin with, we need a why.
A big, mother-fucking…
If your ‘why‘ ain’t big enough, your innate drive to prepare the best way you can and accomplish your goal that is related to your why, is diminishing significantly.
So, how can we develop an equally big why as ‘pushing a baby out of your vulva‘?
If we think about the comparison between pregnancy/birth AND business, we can come up with a refreshing new framework of what makes a great WHY.
Now, we’ve already established that a WHY is needed because it’s the gas that helps continuously operate your engine to drive you forward.
As such, a great WHY needs to have/be:
+ Urgent. It needs to have a due date.
+ It needs to have some form of emotional connection related to it.
You need to be able to feel the creation and development of your goal into existence. For example, for a pregnant soon-to-be mom that is the thought of knowing the baby is growing & developing every day plus imagining it.
+ It needs to have a fear related to it, say if ABC ain’t happening, XYZ might occur – this in turn again, creates an innate need to figure things out.
Say, you eat tons of sweets all day, every day during the duration of your pregnancy, you might get pregnancy-related diabetes which in turn can harm you and your baby.
+ It needs to have a simply wonderful outcome that is filled with love.
The outcome for pregnant women is the thought of holding your beautiful baby in your arms one day. When you’ve achieved the goal, what is one wonderful thing you’re going to be able to experience?
+ Your WHY needs to be so big to have potential life-altering effects on you and your family.
A baby changes everything in your family.
Say, you get featured on Forbes or invited to do a TEDTalk, etc. all of these things, alter the course of your life going forward in some way as well! If your WHY does not include a life-altering change, it is not a big enough why.
Dream bigger! Think bigger!
If you had established this strong of a WHY, could you imagine how radically different you’d achieve any and all goals?
And I betcha your business would look very different right about now.
Let’s move into the second important piece of achieving any goal:
For those of you that have never been pregnant, I want to bring you quickly up to speed on ALL the things that are suggested you do as a pregnant woman.
All of these things essentially are there for prepping you for the big day – labor and birth.
Here’s the list:
- Daily meditations or mindfulness training.
- This help you start developing the right mindset to make it through hours of labor filled with probably and surely excruciating waves of pain, also known as contractions.
- Daily breathing exercises.
- Practicing deep breathing – so inhale until you can’t fill your lungs with oxygen anymore and then slowly let the air slip out of our body again. This is scientifically proven to lower stress levels when faced with any sort of challenges.
- The right nutrition.
- I know that not every one of my friends have gone crazy about their nutrition when pregnant and have splurged a bit every now and then – myself included. However, there are a clear set of suggestions you want to be following when pregnant. Your diet changes. After all, you are creating a human being – all while going about your day!
- Nutrition for pregnant women is very similar to the kind of strict nutrition lifestyle, athletes, high fashion models, a vegan or someone that is lactose-intolerant follows.
- Pelvic floor exercises.
- In case you don’t know what they are, don’t fret about it. It’s something that starts becoming important when you get pregnant because exercising your pelvic floor muscles will make actual birth and postpartum healing so much better.
- Oh my gosh, exercise has been awesome to maintain a healthy, positive mindset during pregnancy and to feel strong and beautiful throughout each passing day of being pregnant. Healthcare professionals are suggesting everything from yoga to cardio and weight training.
- I’ve watched documentaries pertaining to labor and birth like ‘The Business Of Being Born‘ plus Youtube videos, read books on how I can ‘improve’ my labor and birth outcome, attended child-birthing classes like the Bradley Method Class, etc. I feel like I could give a course on pregnancy right about now haha :).
- Labor preparations.
- Here, I’m going to include everything from choosing the right care provider to deciding where to have the baby, etc.
In short and during the timeframe of nine months, your FOCUS is on creating the BEST environment for your baby to grow, thrive and be healthy.
My question for you is:
Can you say you are preparing in the same meticulous way for any type of business goal you have at the moment?
Is this something you could approve upon?
I am one hundred percent positive that if you are not happy with your business at the moment or, if you have failed to achieve your goals (in the past and in this moment),
There is something about your execution and action list that can be improved upon.
If you go back to the list of all the action items that women do on a pretty regular basis during pregnancy, it should inspire you to look at your own daily list of business execution items as well.
Also, are they all connected to your WHY we talked about before and moving you towards achieving one, definite GOAL.
You need a different ‘list of execution items’ for different goals!
It is easy feel overwhelmed in your business, if you have not set a CLEAR WHY, defined ONE CLEAR GOAL and worked out an execution list on how to get there.
You can find a great further read on ‘business goal setting’ on INC. Magazine here that goes into detail on the different components of a goal you want to be focusing on as a CEO for your business.
I can guarantee you that once you worked out an ‘action or execution list’ – similarly, to a woman that has just found out she was expecting a beautiful baby – your imminent achievement of your goals is a given!
Side Note: You might also enjoy this related article on how to achieve $1 million in revenue in your business: http://corneliapauline.com/2018/08/08/4-big-milestones-to-reach-1-million-in-sales-with-your-business-online/
Furthermore and regardless, how tired you might feel, if you experience emotions of doubts and worries, if you feel demotivated because you don’t feel your best on a given day,… whatever it is!
Your WHY on why you are doing what you are doing every single day because you’ve got a clear, definite goal with a set due date – WILL KEEP YOU GOING!
Just like it helps a woman during her pregnancy ;).
If you think about anything that you’ve achieved in the past that was worth-while achieving, you’ve probably invested months – even years, at times – prepping for it.
Preparing for this life-altering event of giving birth and becoming a parent takes time. And it should!
If you find yourself impatient because you haven’t quite hit your business goals yet – be patient.
Reflect on why you haven’t hit your goal yet.
Work on re-developing a stronger WHY for you.
Create a new plan and prepare yourself better for your goal now that you’ve read this article.
Have an unwavering faith in a positive outcome.
Let go and do your daily dues to put yourself in the best position to succeed.
Here’s to not only birthing healthy babies but also, birthing successful businesses :)!
If you’ve enjoyed this article, be sure to go ahead and share it online. Oh and don’t forget to subscribe.
Let’s do this!